It’s a new year! Why not start out with some new tricks?
“Playing Dead” is always a crowd favorite!
This trick is not easy and geared for more advanced puppers. Give yourself a few weeks and try to squeeze in 20 mins of practice each day. Your pup will be a pawfessional in no time with these steps:
- Hold the treat to the side of your pups nose and slowly move the treat towards his shoulder. The objective is to use the treat to lure him onto his side, and then further over onto his back.
- When you get your pup in the right position state your command “Bang!” and provide the reward. Give your pup a little belly rub so he holds the position.
- Shape your pup’s position about 10 times in a row so he starts associating the “Bang!” command with moving onto his side and/or back.
- Next, try stating the command without shaping your dog. Stand a couple of feet in front of your pup and sate “Bang!”. If he moves to the play dead position he has the hang of it, if not, keep shaping him with the treat.
- When your pup is comfortable with the command and is consistently responding, start working in the hand cue. Shape your fingers into a gun-like position and state the command “Bang!” for full effect!